Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Stardust, 7-Eleven, Route 57, A&W and So Forth

Last night I reread the first couple of stories in Patricia Lear’s collection in preparation for an independent study. (Full disclosure: she’s my friend Peter’s mom, but I’m guessing the people who handed her an O. Henry award, and a few others, would agree with me.) Lear is an extremely talented writer, moving and funny, SO real, – and although there’s something very easy and natural about her style, make no mistake, these are incredibly well-crafted stories. So naturally, I ended up thoroughly baffled as to how it could be that this book has been out of print for years, how many wonderful books must be out of print – so there’s room for one more copy of The DaVinci Code? Anyway, there are copies of this book out there, and I suggest you find them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that idea, Byron!

Anonymous said...

Independent study? Is this an academia-world dealy or your own endeavor?

I smell a next Book Club pick coming on. Though I may have to bow out of hosting until the fall, unless we want to have Book Club and Sauna Night.

Wait, actually that sounds kinda saucy, in a Go-Go's sort of way - all us womens sitting around my apartment in white towels and turbans. Probably better in theory than practice, though.

Anonymous said...

Academia.
I'd love to host again but I did it last time and as much as I'd love to force my taste on everyone it should probably be a little more democratic. Suzanne offerred and then went and got married! So we haven't heard from her.