Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Stardust, 7-Eleven, Route 57, A&W and So Forth

Last night I reread the first couple of stories in Patricia Lear’s collection in preparation for an independent study. (Full disclosure: she’s my friend Peter’s mom, but I’m guessing the people who handed her an O. Henry award, and a few others, would agree with me.) Lear is an extremely talented writer, moving and funny, SO real, – and although there’s something very easy and natural about her style, make no mistake, these are incredibly well-crafted stories. So naturally, I ended up thoroughly baffled as to how it could be that this book has been out of print for years, how many wonderful books must be out of print – so there’s room for one more copy of The DaVinci Code? Anyway, there are copies of this book out there, and I suggest you find them.

4 comments:

B said...

I KNOW!

i mean...how many copies of books do we need...can't we make a little city full of unused books so we don't have to stop printing them?

What about my kids that don't want to read another stephen king novel and actually want to read something like Patricia?

Betsy said...

I love that idea, Byron!

jackie said...

Independent study? Is this an academia-world dealy or your own endeavor?

I smell a next Book Club pick coming on. Though I may have to bow out of hosting until the fall, unless we want to have Book Club and Sauna Night.

Wait, actually that sounds kinda saucy, in a Go-Go's sort of way - all us womens sitting around my apartment in white towels and turbans. Probably better in theory than practice, though.

Betsy said...

Academia.
I'd love to host again but I did it last time and as much as I'd love to force my taste on everyone it should probably be a little more democratic. Suzanne offerred and then went and got married! So we haven't heard from her.