Monday, January 09, 2006

Wholphin

Lately my new obsession is very very short movies. I mentioned before that our friend Gene is producing some and now McSweeney’s is starting a whole magazine dedicated to them. The most recent issue of the Believer comes with a DVD of a bunch of short films, which is a great marketing tool, because many of these films are delightful and now I want to subscribe to the new magazine. One was written by Miranda July, called Are You The Favorite Person of Anybody? Which is great, and my other favorite is called The Delicious, about a guy who suddenly develops a weird relationship with his mother-in-law’s red jumpsuit. And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the guy who sings Stairway to Heaven backward, but then plays the tape forward. Anyway, as a short story writer, it doesn’t surprise me that I’m charmed by this form, and that I have hope for movies again and that my long lost desire to be a filmmaker has been rekindled. I just found out that Megan and Christopher made that movie on their digital camera, so I’m super psyched.

4 comments:

mernitman said...

Did you watch "The Great Escape" all the way through -- that seascape thing which comes up along with the menu? Totally amazed me, not the least part being (according Offerman's Wholphin page) that the filmmaker "just happened to be there" to catch it. Was also impressed by Jonze's Al Gore...

Anonymous said...

Yes! It took us a couple of times to figure out how to watch the stuff that was just on the menu. I didn't realize that he just happenned to be there for that - that's pretty amazing. Al Gore was also good!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm glad you liked Wholphin! What I also like are the shorts that show up when the menu shows up.

Did you see the one with a hover craft coming in from the ocean and then picking up one guy, and then going back out to the ocean again?

It's worth watching.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Elizabeth. I like your blog
scott prendergast