Monday, August 13, 2007

Messenger - The Play: See It

Hey Kids!
Okay, I should have posted a reminder about this a while back, but the theatrical adaptation of When The Messenger is Hot is up at Steppenwolf's Garage theater right now, and there are still four performances left and you should go see it. Call this number for tickets: 312-335-1650. It's only fifteen bucks - a bargain! And it's amazing. I can say this because all I did was show up. Okay, well I wrote the book. But they play was adapted by Laura Eason, who dreamed up something I couldn't have, and if it weren't for the genius vision of the director, Jessica Thebus, it would never have gotten to Laura or onto the stage, especially not in just exactly the captivating way that it is. I can't say enough about how great the cast is. I will save for another time what a surreal experience it is to see your work, and elements of your life, more or less, acted out in front of you, but in these capable hands, it's mostly relief that those parts of my life are over and that I am crazy lucky to have a theater like Steppenwolf include my work in any way.

Here is a crazy good review from the Tribune.

And here are some photos:

Behold the beaded sweatery goodness!


Look, mom comes back from the depot!


A sweet moment I won't spoil.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can attest to the particular spectacular fabulousness of this play, as I was lucky enough to see the initial command performance.

Bravo, Betsy! Bravo to the playwright, director, and actors, all. It was truly one of the better plays I've seen in a long time, and I'm NOT just saying that because I'm friends with Betsy.

Well done, indeed.

Justin D.M. Palmer said...

hi betsy! laura goldstein and i saw it on friday. well done well done! there are so many things i want to talk about, joke about, mention here, but i can't spoil them.

you must be very proud. it's a great production.