Monday, October 29, 2007

Crazy Something, Anyway


Ben and I watched this documentary last night about this couple in NY, Burt and Linda Pugach. The story in a nutshell is this: they met when she was about 22, they broke up because he was married, he was obsessed with her, threw acid in her face, partially blinding and disfiguring her, he went to jail for fourteen years and then they got married and they’ve been together for thirty years but apparently ten or so years back he pulled a similar stunt with another mistress.

So, um, I’m clear on the ‘crazy’, but not so much on the love.

Still, it’s interesting to think about. The question of love aside, they have chosen each other. Me, lye in the face would be a deal-breaker. Equally as fascinating is that almost all of Linda’s friends seemed to support her choice to go back to him. One of them said something like, ‘She was thirty-five.’

Anyway, all I’m clear on is that Burt and Linda Pugach have something, but if that’s love in any universe, I’m frightened for all of us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to see this for so long. I don't know why, but there is something so interesting about the two of them. It's like watching a car wreck, you know?

Unknown said...

not to change the subject..
One of my favorite movies is "The Game" (1997) stars Michael Douglas. In it Michael is signed up to CRS - Consumer Recreation Services that tailors a game just for you. One of my ideas was to bring the game idea here to Chicago not a fake movie version but where someone could play an evening game have the opportunity to solve puzzles. It begins when a limo picks you up and takes you to a restaurant there you get your information pack and follow clues to a motel that is setup with our clues and then to yet more places to solve more clues. A great gift! Maybe a $400 with food. What do you think Elizabeth, I need a writer you know anyone?

Anonymous said...

Dear Elizabeth Crane, First excuse my english mistakes, i'm french, lives in france, and my english became shaky those years...being 35 and still being single ( nice linda's friends...if that is friendship...), i am asking myself a lot of questions about love, attachment and bounds. To me it's clearly a love affair without love ( une histoire d'amour sans amour), but the encounter between two neurosis can be very strong...as love is, should be...Laetitia